We source products that are ethically and environmentally responsible, including:
Ingredients that are sustainably-wildcrafted or ethically sourced. Critical plants like frankincense, palo santo, and white sage are vetted for their origin and ways they are harvested to ensure that we do not harm any wild or vulnerable habitats if we include these plant ingredients in our boxes.
Organic ingredients where possible and preferred (we understand that not every ingredient can be organic). We prefer ingredients that are certified USDA organic to ensure that ingredients were not sprayed with toxins or pesticides. All cotton in the box must be GOTS-certified organic.
No toxic chemicals, parabens, sulphates, artificial fragrances, synthetics, or other nasties. Natural ingredients only (notable exception is synthetic Mica because the mining of natural mica exploits child labour and devastates the environment).
Vegan / Beegan
All products are Vegan or Beegan (can include bee products like honey and beeswax from ethical non-commercial beekeepers).
Sustainable Palm Oil or Palm Oil Free
No unsustainable palm oil. Lots of ingredients are palm-oil derivatives that appear in many skincare and beauty products, including magnesium stearate, cetyl alcohol, and glycerin. We only feature products that are palm oil free or source their palm oil from certified sustainable palm groves.
Low Waste Product Packaging
Packaging from our featured brands is as sustainable as possible: we prefer glass, kraft, steel, aluminum, and biodegradable sugarcane with little plastic. You won't find HDPE pouches, plastic squeeze tubes, or plastic that is not easily recyclable at most facilities. We avoid plastic packaging as much as possible unless the brand is using post-consumer material or contains plastic that is hard to replace (e.g., eye dropper lids). You won't see any non-recyclable material (e.g., no plastic shrink wrap, plastic textile bags, plastic accessory tags, etc.).
Consider End of Life
We consider the end of life on every product and try to source from brands that are upcycling materials, such as scraps of fabric from fast fashion, and creating closed loop systems with refill and bulk programs. Many products or packaging is compostable, reusable, or biodegradable (e.g., only compostable or biodegradable snack wrappers are accepted).
Any paper products (e.g., cards, stationary, pouches, promo inserts) must be made from post-consumer paper or FSC-certified forests. No paper products from virgin forests are accepted. All Earthlove paper products, including any promo flyers and box magazine, are all post-consumer paper or FSC-certified sustainably-sourced paper.
Items sourced with ingredients or materials from outside North America must be one of the following: registered as certified Fair Trade; have direct, transparent trade partnerships with artisans; or partner with a manufacturer that has fair labor and fair wages certificates (depending on the country).
We look for eco certifications including, but not limited to, the Rainforest Alliance, USDA Organic, EWG, 1% for the Planet, Orangutan Alliance, Safer Choice, Fair Trade, FSC, Vegan, Cruelty-free, Leaping Bunny, GOTS, Green Seal, Green America, or B Corp.
Earthlove HQ is located on our small farm and natural apiary in Washington State. We take sustainability seriously behind the scenes too!
Packaging, Packing, & Shipping
- Reduce. Reuse. Recycle is our mantra: at Earthlove, we're always look for ways to reduce our own carbon footprint and impact on our beautiful planet.
- We use EcoEnclose's 100% post-consumer cardboard and GreenWrap's post-consumer crinkle shred for packing. Our box is printed with algae-based inks -- the most non-harmful inks on the planet!
- We use Terra Cycle for any plastic waste that gets shipped to us from our vendors (we always ask our vendors to ship as eco-friendly as possible!)
- When we're forced to use peanut packing material, it's corn-based and fully compostable (just run it under a tap and watch it dissolve!)
- We wrap any item that might leak in tissue or kraft paper instead of plastic or zip lock bags
- We reuse boxes, kraft paper, and other packing materials that are sent to us.
Paper, Box Magazines, and Books
- All of Earthlove's paper materials, including any promos and the box magazine, are either printed on post-consumer paper or use FSC-certified paper from sustainably-managed forests. Our printer uses waterless technology to print, ensuring that water isn't wasted.
- All of the books featured in our boxes are called "Last chance" books. We buy them after they've been returned from retailers so they don't end up heading to a landfill.
- We do not send paper packing slips. All receipts are sent through email to reduce paper.
We are proud partners of 1% for the Planet. In addition, we donate to one of our environmental non-profit partners, which our members vote to support, each quarter.
- Earthlove has partnered with Cloverly to give customers the opportunity to offset their carbon footprint for shipping boxes. Cloverly distributes the funds to the carbon project that is closest in distance to the customer, including farms, wind energy projects, forest regeneration, and other initiatives.
- On the backend, we've partnered with Boxton to offset all carbon of shipments that head to our warehouse.